GROUNDS FOR ALL
Historic Future at Hiawatha Golf Course
Hiawatha Golf & Play has continued to be a shining example of unity and togetherness throughout history. From its founding in 1932, it embraced both black golfers and women golfers, even before women had the right to vote! It was regularly frequented by other prominent golfers including Tom Lehman and Joe Louis (boxing star).
Hiawatha Golf Course was the second course designed by Minneapolis Park Board Superintendent and Engineer, Theodore Wirth. The popularity and success of his first designed course, Glenwood Golf Course (now re-named for Theodore Wirth) convinced the Park Board to purchase land on the sound side of Minneapolis for a “golf course and a playground.” Hiawatha Golf Course opened in 1934, and in 1938 was the first golf course in the Upper Midwest to welcome African American golfers. In partnership with our local schools, cultural exhibits and tours will ensure that these stories will be shared for years to come.